Skip to main content

Physical Feedback: Nekomimi Maid Futaba no Hon (A Catgirl Maid Futaba Book)

Read here if you're interested
I'm tempted to call the phenomenon of h-doujins with ironically direct titles a subgenre in itself, it's something I see more and more as time goes on. There's a seemingly endless deluge of titles fitting the template of "A [fetish] [fetish] [character] Book," usually with some lampshadedly-weak excuse plot to get straight to the titular [fetish]-[fetish]-[character] fucking, which is all well and good as far as I'm concerned. If all you really want to do is get right to the point of a character you like or find attractive getting fucked in a particularly appealing way, more power to you, and thank you for making that apparent right off the bat.

Well, in this case it's maybe not quite so up-front. There is a really unexpected sudden urination scene near the beginning of this one. But I've dealt with worse unexpected fetish material popping up, that's no big deal. No, my main gripe with this comic is the fact that in spite of the seeming directness of the concept, it can't seem to really decide what it wants to be and instead flits back and forth between several different tones and ideas.

Futaba's embarassed about wearing a tail plug in public, but then it's revealed that she wasn't wearing panties under her skirt, which one would think would be a more pressing concern; She's very immediately affection and forward toward Ren, but midway through foreplay suddenly starts acting reticent for no apparent reason; after the pissing scene she's suddenly very eager to sucks his dick, and now he's suddenly filming it just to throw in an extra tag I guess, and once that's done she's suddenly reluctant to move forward again, then back to being eager and excited.

I'm not about to say that this sort of behavior is impossible, it's totally feasible that Futaba's level of enthusiasm rises and falls depending on what activity's being performed and how into it she is. But this isn't really established, it's just my own speculation, and that's beside the point. In a lot of art, and especially in pornography, I would posit that presenting a piece with a cohesive appeal is more important than presenting a piece with a cohesive logic, and no matter how much one can rationalize that this book doesn't fail at the latter, it absolutely does at the former. It's a damn shame, because Futaba is a fantastic character design and there are a lot of panels here in which she looks incredibly cute, but it's difficult to get into it when the reading experience feels so inconsistent and unfocused. This isn't a terrible doujin by any means, but it could've been so much better, and feels like so much wasted potential as a result.

I'm giving Nekomimi Maid Futaba no Hon a 2. It's certainly above the neutral cutoff of 0, mainly on the strength of the art, but it could've stood out a lot more and been much more memorable if it would just show some confidence and pick a consistent angle from which to approach the content.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Physical Feedback: "VictimGirls R: Molestation Eradication Campaign" by Asanagi

Content warning: molestation, rape, sexual violence Last week I spoke pretty positively about one of Asanagi's VictimGirls doujins, and this week I thought it might be interesting to provide a counterpoint with an entry in the series which I find it difficult to enjoy, primarily on moral and cultural grounds. VictimGirls 21 took place in a clearly fantastical setting and involved the use of magical garments and mind control, which made it very easy to compartmentalize the morality of the scenario and simply to project onto whatever participant most appealed to your desires; VictimGirls R: Molestation Eradication Campaign , however, takes a... different approach. The book portrays a feminist movement against molestation in which young girls appoint themselves as unofficial anti-molestation activists and publicly call out molesters on trains. Said movement is almost immediately revealed to be comprise primarily of self-serving, sadistic, or suggestible girls partaking in spurious...

Physical Feedback: Introduction

I've decided to start reviewing pornography on this blog, mainly because I feel it's the one category of art that just doesn't seem to have much criticism going on in it. Most art critics have this silly idea that pornography is somehow beneath their notice, and most people who view it as a valid and important form of expression don't seem inclined to become critics of it themselves (outside of occasionally complaining about industry trends) so I figure I might as well pick up the torch myself, in the hope that the barrenness of the market might afford me some visibility and eventually lead to a cultural shift. If not, well at least I'll have fun whacking off to smut and then blogging about it. It's a win-win situation. So: Physical Feedback will update weekly, on Sundays, partly because that's when I'm free to spend some time writing about porn (after spending some time using it as intended so I can actually focus worth a damn while writing about it) ...

DOOM and Gloom: E1M3: Toxin Refinery

This here's a classic level, and one featuring more nukage than the supposed "Nuclear Plant." As soon as you open the first door, you're greeted with on the most iconic rooms in the entire WAD; a raised walkway bordering a big ol' pool of corrosive sludge, teeming to the brim with pinkies, shotgunners, and zombiemen. Toxin Refinery is a great example of what most people think of when they think DOOM; On Ultraviolence (and especially UV-fast) you really start getting put through your paces here, with crowds of hitscanners that start out across the room while you're stuck dealing with the up-close melee monsters, plus a smattering of imps to harass you as well. It's on this stage where you really start to learn how terrifying pinkies can be when playing with -fast, they'll get right up in your face and stay there in a way that you just really don't have to deal with at normal speed, and of course shotgunners will almost instantly deal damage on sigh...